This online event organized by FiBL and BÖLW calls the attention of European processors, wholesalers and retailers on the importance of organic breeding for the future growth of the organic sector. During the seminar, representatives of the breeding and food industry sector will present the benefits and challenges of organic breeding (with insights from plant and livestock programs), and provide insights on success stories of value-chain partnerships to promote organic breeding. The current situation of breeding financing schemes will be discussed and opportunities for value-chain based partnerships demonstrated.
Following the seminar, the workshop will be dedicated to a practical activity on how to best promote the benefits of organic breeding. The workshop will be subdivided in two parallel sessions. The first session is dedicated to identifying and discussing benefits and barriers for value-chain actors to engage in cross-sector cooperation. In the second session, participants will work on consumer targeted communication arguments and how to use them in organic food marketing strategies.
PART1 (Seminar) 10:30-12:30 The taste of diversity: organic breeding for biodiversity increase and high-quality organic food
- How the organic sector can benefit from organic breeding (Monika Messmer and Mariateresa Lazzaro, FiBL)
- Examples and views from the organic plant breeding sector (Herbert Völkle, GZPK - Getreidezüchtung Peter Kunz)
- Examples and views from the organic animal breeding sector (Wytze Nauta, SBV- De Stichting Biologische Veeverbetering)
- Added value of products from organically bred cultivars for processors and consumers (Sigmund Walbaum, Naturata)
- Current situation of breeding financing schemes (Freya Schäfer, FiBL Germany)
- A cross-sector pool funding strategy. Perspectives from the pilot project in Germany (Mitja Seyffert, Bund Ökologische Lebensmittelwirtschaft e.V.)
PART 2 (Workshop) 14:00-16:00 Value-chain collaborations to boost organic breeding: how to make it work
- Workshop 1 - Identification of benefits and barriers for value-chain actors to engage in cross-sector cooperation
- Workshop 2 - How to present the benefits of organic breeding to organic consumers
Detailed information for joining the event online will be sent to registered participants at the beginning of October.
Info contact firstname.lastname@example.org